Saturday, August 26, 2017

Mother-In-Law's Flower Garden

This quilt came from a new client of mine. She made it for her 94-yr-old mother-in-law, who lives in a nursing home. It is a "cheater" attic windows pattern - made to look as if you're looking through a window. Normally this pattern requires Y-seams, which are really tricky. But this one used half-square-triangles instead.

Carol, my client, wanted custom quilting to make it extra special, but still wanted it to be cuddly, so I tried hard to keep the quilting sparse. The batting was really, REALLY high loft, and the backing fabric is flannel, so hopefully it will be warm and supple and lovely.

I quilted some heart shapes in the outer border. Continuous curve in the Shoo Fly sections at the top and bottom. Carol had the idea of putting an oval around the center (focal) flowers in each square. And then I filled around with some large-scale meandering.

Unfortunately, it wasn't until I was editing these photos that I realized that I had accidentally hung it upside down. Agh!





Carol had me apply my "Effortless Binding", which means she brought me raw yardage fabric, and I applied it to the quilt with a tool that I have, which stitches the front and back of the binding simultaneously. The machine stitching will be super durable in the nursing home, where this quilt will be machine laundered by the staff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment