Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Poinsettia Centerpiece

This was a project for a client that was on a deadline. Her guild had issued their annual challenge to its members to submit a project that had stretched them beyond their comfort zone, encouraging them to try techniques, materials, or disciplines that they weren't used to. And this year's entrants needed to somehow incorporate BUTTONS. Yay! I love buttons!

So, Verena used fusible grid and assembled this centerpiece quilt. It was a very tricky process for her - and the tricky part for me was that it came to me as a sorta-complete quilt. Because of the very oddly shaped edges of the quilt, she had elected to sew the back to the front, right sides together, leaving a hole, and then turning the whole thing inside out. This way, there was no binding to worry about.

BUT that made it impossible for me to mount it on my longarm frame, and required me to quilt it on my domestic sewing machine. It's been a long time since I quilted on my domestic machine! I'm very thankful that I learned this discipline before ever transitioning to the longarm.


When Verena submitted the project for the guild competition, she enclosed her story of how this project came about, how she carried it out, and what she learned from it. Read it - she's a good writer!








No comments:

Post a Comment