Sunday, July 23, 2017

Dorothy's Giant quilt for Jocelyn

I haven't done an in-depth analysis to see if it's official, but I'm going to have to guess that this is one of the largest quilts I've done. 102x122" - every inch custom quilted. And you wanna talk about HEAVY!

This quilt was made by my quilting friend, Dorothy, for her daughter Jocelyn, whose favorite color is purple. I've never met Jocelyn, but I hear that she's a sewist herself, so I'm assuming she'll appreciate this generous gift from her mom. It's beautiful!

I kept the quilting on the larger scale, so it wasn't stiff as a board and heavy as a hippo. I alternated fills in the squares-inside-squares: overlapping swirls and serpentine.

Then in the pieced border, I attempted new swirling scroll motif that I recently learned at a class taught by a quilting-hero of mine, Angela Walters. Sadly, it doesn't show up well on the contrasting colors and prints in the border. Probably for the best, since it was a new technique for me. I do like how it turned out, so I think it's gonna get added to my catalog!

The thing that totally tickled me was the piano key borders. Since there were solid-fabric borders on each side of the middle border, which Dorothy had pieced into piano keys, I didn't have to mark a thing or worry about measurements at all! I just mirrored the piano keys from her piecing. It was so easy and efficient! No marking, no measuring! Yee haw!

My quilting is all free-motion, hand-guided on an APQS quilting machine.












1 comment:

  1. Great quilt and quilting! I admire your ability to maintain even quilting scale and spacing in everything you do, but in the swirls most of all!

    ReplyDelete