Monday, March 27, 2017

Trish's Lovely Star Quilt

I love quilting for my friend, Trish. She brings me such crisp, sleek, fresh-feeling quilt tops. And she gives me a rough guideline - like, for this one, she wanted a custom treatment, but left the rest up to me.

And Trish isn't afraid of some dense-ish quilting. I always ask my clients what purpose they have in mind for their quilts and if they have a preference about how dense the quilting is. The more quilting I put on something - the more detail, the more thread, the tighter the quilting - the stiffer it can get. If you want your quilt to be supple and soft and cuddly, you want the quilting to be less dense. But sometimes the most spectacular effects are achieved with more detail, more intricate designs.

For this quilt, I decided on some deep waves in the white borders. Some free-hand serpentine in the green-and-red borders. Some alternating serpentine in the black-and-white sashing strips. These were a little experiment for me - I was messing around with how I processed through those sashing strips. I left every other space in the black polka-dot strip unquilted. You can't really see it well in the photos, and I wish it showed up even more in real life. It sorta looks like a basket-weave effect. Orange peel in the 9-patch blocks. Swirls in the 8-point stars/flowers.

Another lovely quilt that I was honored to help Trish with!

My quilting is all free-motion, hand-guided on an APQS longarm quilting machine.












No comments:

Post a Comment