Saturday, October 28, 2017

Jamie's Diamond Affair

Here's a beautiful jewel-tone quilt from my new client, Jamie. The quilt top was composed almost entirely of diamond shapes - lots of lots and LOTS of bias seams. I don't know how she did it, but it was flat and straight - a real accomplishment! For you non-sewists reading, fabric on the bias (aka, diagonal) is very stretchy, so if you're not careful, it could easily get stretched or distorted as you're stitching or pressing, and then you'll get ripples or waves. This one had no problems with that. It was great!

Jamie asked for edge-to-edge paisleys in the interior of this quilt and special treatment in the borders. I went with an undulating oak leaf treatment in the two inner borders, to go with the leaves in several of the fabrics. And then I went with a diamond motif in the outer border, to play on the diamonds in the piecing. This kind of ruler-work is very time-consuming, but I think the effect is super striking.

My quilting is all free-motion, hand-guided on a longarm quilting machine.









1 comment:

  1. Beautiful work by both artists on this stunning quilt! Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete