Sunday, December 18, 2016

Renee's Fourth: A Fabulous Sampler

This is the last quilt from a batch that came to me from Renee in Washington. I saved this one for last, because it's so exquisite. This sampler was part of a "Shop Hop" that Renee and her friends did throughout the state of Washington. They hit 48 quilt shops in 3 days! At each shop, they picked up a pattern for a unique quilt block, as well as fabrics that caught their eyes. And this is the quilt that Renee came home and constructed, based on those pattern and fabrics. Isn't it a beauty!?

Renee wanted this to be a throw/lap quilt, so I didn't want to get too terribly dense with the quilting. The more intricate and densely quilted a piece is, the more smashed down the fibers of the batting are, and the stiffer it gets. So I tried to use simple motifs for each block that would bring out various textures and patterns, but not go overboard. It was a labor of love - for Renee and me, both!

My quilting is all free-motion, hand-guided on an APQS longarm quilting machine.












No comments:

Post a Comment