Tuesday, February 20, 2018

A Monster of a Scarlet & Grey Quilt!

This quilt came to me from Ohio, where I grew up. It was made my newest client, Maura, and you guys! I think this is the BIGGEST quilt I've ever worked on! It was 125x122", and it took up almost every bit of my 12-foot quilting frame! Apparently, it was so big while Maura was piecing it, that she actually worked it up in three sections, and then pieced them together, just so she could manage it through her sewing machine.

It will be a bed quilt for her daughter and son-in-law, and I'm guessing that since these two are both Ohio State University grads, these colors are no accident. I'm a Scarlet & Grey alum myself, and I loved being reminded of my alma mater while working on this piece. Go Bucks!

I applied a few different textures to each of the color-ways of this quilt. The bargello pattern made a lovely sense of movement to what would otherwise just have been stripes. I also affixed the binding strip that Maura had prepared, to the front of the quilt. Then I shipped it off to Florida where she is wintering, so that she can hand-stitch it to the back side of the quilt. All I know is that she's going to be hand-stitching for a LONG time. This thing is HUGE! Ha!









2 comments:

  1. I wasn't expecting this when I clicked on your quilt from a quilter's blog in New Zealand! Love that quilt! Born and bred in Ohio myself, returned 29 years ago meaning only to stay a couple years, and yet here we still are. Thanks for sharing your beautiful talent with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete