Saturday, April 8, 2017

Squares-in-Squares Quilt

This quilt came from my client, Barb, and I just have to chuckle how the whole thing went down....

Barb lives in High River, which is about 30 minutes from my house (I drive fast) and also happens to be where we go to church. Back when I started quilting for customers, several of my lovely church friends helped me spread the word about my quilting business to their friends and fellow guild members. And to this day, a big percentage of my clientele is in High River. In doing some of those early quilting jobs, it became a habit of mine to return quilts to my HR clients at our church, because I was often coming to town to attend worship service or accompany our choir at Thursday night rehearsals. It's easy enough for me to bring along the finished quilt, and it saves the client a trip all the way up to Black Diamond. If they aren't available at the time when I'm coming to High River, Melanie, our lovely church secretary, generously stores the quilt jobs in the church office, available for my client to pick up at their convenience. I think of Melanie as my own personal version of a Pony Express Station!

That's a bit of background that sets the stage for this current transaction. I got an email from Barb a few weeks ago, saying that she had a quilt for me to do and that she would leave it at the church office for me. Barb left a note in the bag with her quilt saying to use whatever batting I wanted and quilt it how ever I wanted - maybe not too girly - and she was in no hurry. I quilted it up and dropped it off to her the next time I went back for choir practice. The reason I list all this is because I think it's impressive how easy-peasy and hassle-free this whole interaction was. And this is COMMON for my clients and I. It touches me how trusting and confident they are in me. After all the money they invest in fabric and all the time they spend cutting, piecing, and pressing, and then they just pass it along to me and give me a completely free-hand. I love it! It really means a lot to me, and I don't take that relationship for granted. I love my quilting clients!

My quilting is all free-motion, hand-guided on a longarm quilting machine.






No comments:

Post a Comment