Sunday, March 25, 2018

Pair of Antique Quilts

These quilts came to me from Sharon in Ohio. They were made by a deceased member of Sharon's family. I have gotten to work on other antique quilt tops before, and I love imagining the person who originally made them. What was her life like? How long did it take her to make this quilt top? Did she have intentions for how she was gonna use it, or to whom she was gonna give it? Did she save up and buy fabric, or did she cut up discarded clothing and sheets? It's so fascinating to think about this stranger's life! And I feel strangely bonded to her, because I got to finish the quilt for her. In this case, Sharon had me attach the binding to the front of the quilt, and then send it back for her to finish by hand. I think this is an especially nice touch - a way for Sharon to spend the last moments bringing these quilts to finish.







No comments:

Post a Comment