Monday, June 26, 2017

Judy's Antiqued quilt

Isn't this a great quilt? The colors, the prints, the values, the texture - it all works together and makes a lovely finished piece! This quarter-square-triangles pattern was called "Antiqued". It was my first job for my a new client named Judy, and it was an honor for me to work on. Judy selected meandering feathers as an edge-to-edge treatment for this piece, and before I knew it, I had worked my way all the way through it. I love it!

My quilting is all free-motion, hand-guided on a longarm quilting machine.








 
Just a little note about the photo above. As I work my way through every single inch of a quilt, it's not uncommon for me to find little quirks that might have gotten missed by the piecer. Here's a common occurrance: a seam that had let loose. It was only a few inches in about a million inches of seams in this quilt. Easy to miss! I didn't catch it until I was better than half way through the quilting, so at that point, it's too late to feasibly take the quilt off the frame and sew that seam back together on a sewing machine. I just quilted a straight line along the separated seam, and I think it's pretty darn inconspicuous. Amongst all the millions of quilting stitches, no one will notice a few inches of straight stitching. And this way, the quilt is sturdy, strong, and durable. For years of service and love! I wanted to show this pic and bring up this topic, because I often hear quilting friends denigrate themselves or their quilts. We're always our own worst critic, aren't we? But guess, what.... NO QUILT WAS EVER PERFECT! Little quirks are often easy for me to counteract on the longarm frame, as in this case, and no one will be the wiser. In fact, I can't remember if I even shared this with the piecer herself, so Judy, if you're reading, I hope you're okay with this!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment