Saturday, August 20, 2016

Mona's Floral Applique Quilt

This quilt came from my new client, Mona. She used a software program from Brother, called ScanNCut, which allows the user to scan an image, and then it will cut out fabric for you, based on the image that you scanned. This pattern was called "Marianne", which was taught as a class at Rumpled Quiltskins in Okotoks, Alberta. With the vast amounts of appliqué on this quilt, I can image this to be a huge time saver!

I used two dense fillers (peonies and feathered swirls) in the background around each block motif. I stayed off the appliqué, which allowed the batting behind it to puff up and let the appliqué areas really jump out at you.

I was inspired by the sawtooth inner border - its straight lines and geometric feel - so I went with some diamonds and continuous curves in the outer border, softened with feathers around them.

All my quilting is free-motion, hand-guided on an APQS longarm quilting machine.



The background in this block was filled with feathered swirls.

The background in this block was my "peonies", but at this tight scale, I feel like it reads a little bit more like pebbles.

You can see the diamonds (well, squares on point, actually) with continuous curves inside and feathers outside.

The applique in the corner setting triangles stands out so strikingly. It's actually 3D. Very cool effect!




No comments:

Post a Comment