Saturday, September 17, 2016

Paper-Pieced Placemats

I had a client email me recently, asking if I could quilt some placemats for her. She was on a tight timeframe, but I had enough flex in my quilting schedule that I was able to work them in. She didn't really care how they were quilted and gave me full freedom.

I loved the asymmetry of the pattern - with the flower all the way over to the side, rather than centered. I suspect the intention was to keep the paper-piecing visible when a plate is laid on top. But it really inspired me. I liked the funkiness of it, the asymmetry, the wonkiness, the I-don't-follow-tradition attitude!

I quilted each of the 12 placemats differently. It was a really fun challenge for me to keep things interesting! All my quilting is free-motion, hand-guided on a longarm quilting machine.






















No comments:

Post a Comment