Saturday, April 9, 2016

Robyn's Sampler

My client, Robyn, outdid herself with this beautiful sampler quilt. Such intricate piecing and construction. Just really beautiful work!

This quilt will hang as a store sample at a local quilt shop, so Robyn and the store owner had specific ideas about how they wanted the quilting to look. They did not want anything expected. For instance, no feathers. It was a challenge that I took to heart... I started quilting and basically went crazy. This quilt was a black hole, that I almost got sucked into. Once I got started, I couldn't stop!

In a sampler quilt, every block is different (in this quilt, it's every OTHER block). So get ready for a BUNCH of photos.

All quilting was free-motion, hand-guided on an APQS longarm quilting machine. Just for some fun, I included some of the "in-progress" photos, which show various marking and measurements that I used to frame the quilting motifs.

Here's a "before" shot. 

And here's "after".




Here's the marking for the shot above.


This is how I marked out the corner squares (pictured above).




Mapping out the photo above.
















The dense curly filler I used in much of the background areas (see above) reminds this farm girl of the curly face of a Hereford cow.



After many, many, MANY hours, I was pretty pleased to get to the last roll of the frame. Thank you, Gilmore-Girls-on-Netflix, for seeing me faithfully through this one!




1 comment:

  1. Your work is amazing! And thanks for the shot "behind the curtain", showing your marking. Lets me know you are human. ").

    ReplyDelete