Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Sochi Olympics quilt


I'm ashamed to admit, I hadn't even realized there was a patchwork theme to the Olympics in Sochi, Russia, in 2014. As a quilter and an Olympics enthusiast, I would have thought I would have noticed! But I was oblivious. That is, until my new client, Barb, brought this vibrant quilt top to me. Her son had purchased this quilt pattern for her, along with a kit (a kit is an assembled bundle of fabrics in the necessary amounts to complete a pattern). Look at the beautiful colors and values in this piece!

There wasn't what I would call a strong "design" to this pattern. It had a glorious color-wash effect, accomplished by a gradient arrangement of diamond-shaped patchwork pieces. But not something that would lend itself well to custom quilting, in my opinion. I loved the way the colors gradually flowed from one tone to another, almost like liquid. So Barb and I decided to use an all-over quilting motif with a similar flow-y feel. Kept it on the less-dense side, at Barb's request for a cuddly quilt.

I LOVE the Olympics. Can't wait for the next one! I'm already hearing John Williams theme in my head!










No comments:

Post a Comment